At Sprout Festival, we take sustainability and environmental issues very seriously. At the core of the festival is a team of dedicated individuals who are all collectively pushing for more education and awareness of these issues in the mainstream world.
We are optimistic about the future of the event industry, and believe that these changes implemented on a community event level can, and will be adopted on the worldwide scale provided it is given the time, dedication, and the right mindset.
We understand that sustainability is a wholistic system, and requires positive input from everyone within our magical community to achieve our goals for the future. We invite, and encourage you to involve yourself as much as possible within this process at the festival. Attend a workshop, learn some new things, aid someone else’s learning experience when they might not know any better, and be the change that you would like to see in the world! We are all in this together.
Our team is still learning every day, and we appreciate the value of a new perspective, therefore if you have any input, or believe that you have something to offer to aid our learning, or the patrons learning experience at the festival we would love to hear from you. Please Contact Us!
These are just some of the measures that we will be putting into place at Sprout Festival 2018.
First and foremost is waste management and recycling. We will be adopting several measures throughout festival to ensure that we are recycling the best we can, and we encourage patrons to do the same. Remember what you do at home, these same recycling methods can and should be adopted at a festival as well.
Support of Coalescence Festivals Revegetation Efforts
In future years, we aim to initiate out own revegetation projects, however we are realistic about what we can achieve within the first year. So, to show our dedication to the cause, Sprout Festivals core crew will be aiding in coalescence festivals revegetaion efforts in whatever way possible. To learn more about Coalescence Festival and their initiatives visit https://www.coalescencefestival.com/
Market Stall Regulation
Market stalls will be required to utilise compostable disposable food packaging.
Better yet, reduce waste by bringing your own reusable ones!
Our workshop space will all be run off solar power. In an ideal world, we would love to see all our power requirements running off renewables, but unfortunately this is not realistic at this current time. We will continue to work behind the scenes to utilise more renewable sources of energy.
We will be utilising compostable toilets and turning the waste material into fertiliser. This Eliminates the need for nasty chemicals that many portable toilet systems use.
Sustainability Driven Workshops and Information Sessions
Sprout Festival will play host to a range of informative and hands on workshop and information sessions as a main part of our festival programming. Attend these with an open mind that is wiling to learn and we guarantee you will walk away with some useful knowledge that you can adapt into your everyday life to minimise our impact on the environment. We will announce the specifics of these in coming months, so stay posted.
Interactive kids space
Although we have mentioned a lot about the environmental side of sustainability and environmental issues we also appreciate that sustainability is a wholistic system, and requires careful thought towards the Economy, the Environment and Society. One of the core fundamentals of the entire Sustainability movement is ensuring that the next generation progresses and enjoys what we have been able to. We encourage to bring you kids along to the event and get the involved in a workshop or sit in on an information session and involve them in the learning process.
Leave No Trace Australia
Leave No Trace builds awareness, appreciation and respect for our natural and cultural heritage.
Leave No Trace Australia is a national non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting and inspiring responsible outdoor travel and recreation through education, research and partnerships.
We are dedicated to promoting attitudinal change and the empowerment of individuals, companies and communities to accept responsibility for the conservation of their natural environment. This is achieved by forming partnerships to foster the development of Leave No Trace minimal impact skills and ethics.
Sprout Festival and Plant the Seed Productions are proud to be supporters of Leave No Trace Australia and encourage all festival patrons to look over the 7 principles of Leave No trace before attending, and think about what you bring. If you are going to bin it, don’t bring it!
Sustainability…..It starts with you!
There are certain things that you can do, before and during the festival to ensure that the impact of these events is minimised. Remember, we are all part of the same system!
- Carpool! Not only are you saving some money on fuel you are saving the environment!
- No Glass! Cans are much more sustainable! Please follow this as it will be strictly enforced
- Recycle properly when you get home. Use different bin bags while camping, just like you would at home!
- Avoid single use water bottles and kitchen gear – Bring reusable water bottles and coffee cups.
- Think before you bin! – If you are going to use our provided bins, please think about where you are putting your rubbish! It takes a second to look, and all of our bins will be clearly marked. It makes our job so much easier when sorting rubbish, and gives you the satisfaction of knowing that you helped us out
- If you are flying to the festival please offset your carbon
- Cigarette Buts – Please bin them, use a personal ashtray or just put them in your pocket, it saves them being on the ground
- Water – Please only use what you need, and do not leave taps running. Clean water is a luxury that not everyone can afford.
- Glow sticks – We recommend you do not buy them at all as they are a single use plastic product, but if you are going to use them, bin them
- Single use plastic / Single use anything – Avoid it if you can
- Fill out a survey – Help us understand more about sustainability issues at events by filling out a research survey at the event! No doubt you will be approached by our friendly staff at some point throughout the festival!